Banana Carrot Cake

 



This recipe is an oldie. Old as in 6th Grade homemaking class old. You may know these classes as home economics, or "Family and Consumer Science" classes. Whatever the name may be, I'm so glad I took this class and got my hands on this awesome banana carrot cake recipe. Thanks Mrs. Pratt of homemaking at Presidio Middle School!

It’s such a good banana carrot cake recipe that it literally traveled with me though my journey in life-- through college, grad school, to the east coast and back-- acquiring stains and scribbles along the way as I experimented with various additions and substitutions. Although I’m cataloging the recipe here on the blog, I will always still reach for this weathered paper copy when ripe bananas are in abundance.

The memories this single piece of paper conjures is priceless.

There’s the memory of my mom typing this recipe out for me on our old Brother word processor (remember those?) as I ventured out to live on my own.

And all the times I multiplied this recipe 6 times to make enough for a bus load of 50 skiers’ breakfast. Applying a hand held mixer in a stock pot anyone?

And hilariously, (or maybe not), the year I discovered flaxseed meal and was hell bent on incorporating it into every single recipe in my collection, despite my husband’s protests.

 Won't you give this recipe a try and make it part of your life's memories?

Yields 8 (2x3) servings

Ingredients:

  • 1 c All purpose flour
  • 2 ¼ t baking powder
  • ½ t baking soda
  • ½ t salt
  • ½ t cinnamon
  • ½ c sugar
  • 1/3 c oil
  • ½ t vanilla
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 medium banana (mashed = ½ c)
  • ½ c shredded carrots

Procedures:

  1.  In a large bowl combine sugar, oil, vanilla and eggs.
  2. Beat at medium speed with mixer until well blended.
  3. Add mashed bananas and mix at medium speed.
  4. Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon and mix at low speed.
  5. Stir in carrots.
  6. Pour batter into a well-greased pan
  7. Bake at 350 F for 30 min. Cupcakes 28 min. Loaves 50-60 min (or until inserted toothpick comes out clean)
  8. Cool in pan