Chow Chow Pancakes (aka Vegetable Fritters)

 


This recipe is adapted from an old recipe called "Chow Chow Pancakes". I was trying to find the creator of the original recipe, but the earliest I can find for "chow chow pancakes" online is the above link from 2008. I know this recipe existed before 2008 because my mom made this for us as kids. She said she saw the recipe in the newspaper and the name was too funny to not make.

My bother-in-law doesn't like bell peppers, and I don't like worcestershire sauce or poultry seasoning powder, so I've always made these omitting them, and they still taste great. (I do amp up the onion flavor a bit with onion powder or dehydrated chopped onions.) It's also a good way to get vegetables on your kid (or adult's) plate.

Give this "elevated hashbrown" a try for breakfast, lunch or dinner!




Yields 4 servings

Ingredients:

  • 2 eggs beaten
  • 1 c finely shredded potatoes
  • 1 c finely shredded zucchini or squash
  • ½ c finely shredded carrots
  • ½ c finely chopped yellow onions
  • 3 T all-purpose flour
  • 3 T dehydrated chopped onions (or 2 t onion powder)
  • 1 t salt
  • ¼ t pepper

Procedures:

  1. In a bowl, mix together above ingredients.
  2. Spoon about ¼ c of the mixture onto a hot nonstick pan coated with 1 T oil. Flatten with spatula. Repeat with remaining batter.
  3. Cook over medium heat for 3 min per side or until golden brown. Serve with ketchup. Makes 8-10 fritters.