Curry Chicken Salad

 



I had some left over Costco rotisserie chicken breasts in the fridge that I was tired of eating as is, and wanted to jazz up a bit. So I made this curry chicken salad that reminded me a bit of the curry chicken salad in a papaya bowl I had last year at the Waioli Kitchen and Bake Shop in Hawaii.

Yes, I'm missing Hawaii a bit right now with this shelter in place...

This curry chicken salad tastes exotic, but actually can be whipped up in no time with accessible pantry items. Serve it tucked in a tortilla wrap, or mounded on top of a bed of salad greens for a delightful lunch. Better yet, mound onto half a papaya (if it's available in your area) and sprinkle in chopped macadamia nuts like at the Waioli Kitchen for some Hawaiian flare.

I know I really wanted to...

But at last, the hubby ate the last stashed can of mac nuts in the cupboard... and there's no papaya that's easily accessible here, so I had to do without.





Yields 4 servings

Ingredients:

  • ¼ c good quality mayonnaise (Best Foods)
  • 1 T apple cider vinegar
  • 2 T water
  • 1 ½ t curry powder (I used the Trader Joe's yellow curry powder, but you can use your favorite mild yellow curry powder)
  • ½ t sugar
  • ¼ t salt (more if your chicken is not very salty, mine from Costco was)
  • ¼ t ground black pepper
  • 3 c cooked chicken breast diced into bite size chunks (about 1.5 chicken breasts)
  • 1 small apple, peeled, cored and diced finely
  • ¼ c dried cranberries
  • 2 T finely minced red onion

Procedures:

1. In a bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients and mix well to make the curry dressing.

2. Add in the remaining ingredients and mix so that the dressing coats the chicken well.

3. Refrigerate for several hours to allow the flavors to meld together and for the cranberries to plump up.

4. Serve on top of salad greens, mounded onto half a papaya (if easily accessible in your area), or wrapped in a tortilla.