Small Batch Peanut Butter and Jelly Mochi

Small Batch Peanut Butter and Jelly Mochi


My friend invited me to Kaori Becker's upcoming free virtual mochi making class in anticipation of launching her new mochi cookbook. I love love LOVE mochi, so of course I signed up for the class.

But ever since signing up and downloading the two recipes for the class, I've been dreaming about mochi. Normally, during this time of the year, we would be in Hawaii, raiding the Nisshodo candy shop for their assortment of filled mochis.

Well, Kaori's class isn't until next Wednesday.

And after craving mochi for almost a week now, I just couldn't wait anymore.

So I made a small batch of peanut butter and jelly mochi using some plum jam that I canned this summer. They totally satisfied my cravings, and was SO easy to make compared to my normal stove top method (recipe here). Now I'm totally converted to making mochi via the microwave-- ESPECIALLY for a small batch. It literally took me less than 30 minutes to make these.

And the clean up is so much easier.

So much easier that I made another batch the next day. And the day after. Fresh mochi for 3 days in a row. Heaven!

Here's how I made this small batch peanut butter and jelly mochi concoction.

Add mochiko, water, and sugar. Stir til no lumps.

Add jam or jelly and stir.

Microwave at medium power for 5 minutes.

Divide into four portions and place on top of potato starch or cornstarch.

Top with COLD peanut butter

Gather sides to close and pinch shut. 

Place seam side down into mini cupcake liners.

Enjoy!


Kaori's class next week will be to make a rose water mochi filled with a strawberry truffle. I can't wait!!!

Recipe adapted from Kaori Becker's recipe for Rose water mochi filled with a Strawberry White Chocolate Truffle.

Yields 4 pieces of filled mochi, 2 servings

Ingredients:

  • ½ c mochiko
  • ½ c water
  • 3 T sugar
  • 2 T jam or jelly (I used plum jam in the pictures)
  • 4 t peanut butter (best to use peanut butter that has been refrigerated)
  • potato starch or cornstarch to prevent mochi dough from sticking

Procedures:

  1. Add mochiko, water and sugar to a microwave safe bowl. Mix until there are no lumps remaining.
  2. Add jam or jelly of your choice and stir to combine.
  3. Microwave at medium power for 5 minutes. (My microwave’s highest power is 10. So I set the power to 5.) NOTE: If you double the recipe, then microwave at medium power for 8 minutes.
  4. When the timer is up, carefully take out the bowl and use a metal spoon to mix the cooked mochi. CAREFUL, the mochi is very very hot!
  5. Sprinkle a layer of potato starch onto a flat surface. Grab a second metal spoon. Using one spoon, scoop out ¼ of the mochi dough; and using the second spoon, push the mochi dough off the spoon onto the potato starch covered flat surface. Repeat for the remainder of the dough to make 4 “blobs” of dough.
  6. Place a small teaspoon of peanut butter in the center of each mochi dough “blob”. Gather the edges of the dough disk, pinch close and shape into a ball. Place seam side down into a mini cupcake liner. Repeat until all mochis are sealed and formed.
  7. Note: Fresh mochi lasts no more than 2 days at room temperature, and is best eaten on the day it is made.