Stir Fry Kabocha


 

I love kabocha, a Japanese squash--also sometimes known as Japanese pumpkin. But it tastes nothing like a typical pumpkin! The texture is similar to that of a chestnut, but there is a nice sweet mild flavor.

Typically, I cook kabocha in a Japanese curry, but recently, my best friend told me that her mom just stir fry’s the kabocha, skin still on, with some soy sauce and sugar, and the side dish is done in 20 min. Wow! Brilliant!

But if you’re like me and don’t like kabocha skin, my sister taught me how to easily peel it.

You steam the kabocha whole for 5 minutes, and this softens the outer skin enough to peel off easily. Yup. She said it’s like cutting through butter. Uncle Bob taught her.

I tested it, and it totally WORKS! No more kitchen accidents over kabocha...

PS: Sorry all. There's no plated picture of the dish. I ate the kabocha right off the pan-- its THAT good.


Yields 2 to 3 servings

Ingredients:

  • 1 small kabocha squash (about 2 lbs)
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 T soy sauce
  • 1 t sugar
  • 1 T butter
  • 1 c water

Procedures:

  1.  Place entire kabocha in a steamer and steam for 5 min. Remove from steamer and slice off the skin. If you don’t mind the skin, skip this step.
  2. Cut kabocha in half and scoop out the seeds and discard.
  3. Dice kabocha to roughly 1 inch pieces and set aside.
  4. Add chopped garlic to a heated pan coated with a small amount of olive oil. Stir fry for 30 seconds.
  5. Add kabocha pieces, soy sauce, sugar, butter and water.
  6. Cook, stirring occasionally (and gently) for about 10-15 minutes uncovered or until kabocha has softened, but still maintains their shape, and the water has evaporated.
  7. Serve as a side dish with rice.