Thai Quinoa Salad

 


When all other vegetables have wilted to beyond rescue, the humble cabbage is still perfect even after two weeks in the fridge.

That's why during this COVID-19 shelter in place, I picked up 3 heads of green cabbage. I used one head last week on Saint Paddy's Day to accompany my corn beef. This past weekend, I stir fried another head with some chopped garlic to go with my instant pot kalua pork. And now, part of this last head of cabbage will go toward this flavorful Thai Quinoa salad.


Rinse quinoa

Bring to a boil and then simmer

Make dressing

Mix til smooth

Chop all veggies

When quinoa has cooled, add to chopped veggies and toss with dressing

It's funny.

If you asked me 10 years ago whether I liked quinoa, I would tell you adamantly, “NO”! But a few years ago, I had a quinoa salad at a Women in Science group meeting at Stanford that changed my mind. It was a salad that featured light and fluffy quinoa bursting with flavor— a far cry from the mush that wrote me off quinoa forever in the past. And I swear, I think it's a version of this Thai Quinoa Salad on Cookie and Kate’s website! Over the years, I've adapted this recipe to my own taste--I like it garlicky and spicy! And anyone who knows me, knows I have a love affair with Hoisin sauce.

Great for work lunches!!!

This salad is hearty and keeps well in the fridge for up to 4 or 5 days. I'd often make this over the weekend, and bring leftovers to work (when I was still working...) for the days where there were no working lunch meetings. Hope you give this recipe a try!

Recipe adapted from Cookie and Kate's Thai Quinoa Salad

Yields 4 servings

Ingredients:

  • 1 c uncooked quinoa
  • 2 c water
  • 2 c chopped cabbage (about 1/4 head of cabbage)
  • 1 c chopped cucumbers (1 cucumber)
  • 1c finely diced carrots (2 medium carrots)
  • ½ c chopped green onions (2 large stalks)
  • ¼ c chopped cilantro (more if you like cilantro)
  • ¼ c hulled hemp seeds (optional)

Ingredients for dressing:

  • ¼ c peanut butter
  • 1 large lime, juiced (about 3 T)
  • 1 clove garlic very finely minced
  • 3 T Hoisin sauce
  • 1 t sesame oil
  • 2 t sriracha hot sauce

Procedures:

1. Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh strainer under running water. Transfer washed quinoa into a medium sized pot. Add water (it’s a 2:1 ratio of water to quinoa). Bring to a boil uncovered, and then reduce the heat to medium such that the quinoa is at a gentle simmer. Simmer with the lid off until all the water has been absorbed. Turn off the heat. Cover the pot with a lid and allow to sit for 5 min. Fluff with a fork, and allow the quinoa to cool to room temperature before adding to the salad.

2. In a small bowl, add the peanut butter. (If you keep the jar of peanut butter in the fridge like I do, you may need to microwave the peanut butter in the bowl for 10-15 seconds to soften it up.) Once the peanut butter is softened, add the remaining dressing ingredients and mix until the dressing is smooth. Set aside.

3. In a large bowl, add the cabbage, cucumbers, carrots, onions, and cilantro. Add the cooked quinoa once it has cooled down.

4. Pour dressing over the salad and toss to mix. Store in the refrigerator until ready to eat. Serve cold. Good for up to 4 to 5 days in the fridge.