Sour Cream Banana Bread

 

When I have super ripe bananas, I usually make my 6th grade home economics Banana Carrot Cake Recipe.

But since, I also had half a tub of sour cream leftover from making cheese cake, I decided to make a super moist sour cream banana bread with it. Since I was making this for my hiking group, I wasn't sure if anyone was allergic to walnuts, so I poured the batter into two different trays and topped one with chopped walnuts and the other with black berries. The batter is pretty thick, so the toppings (especially the berries) remained on the top after baking and didn't sink to the bottom--no flour coated berries needed for this recipe.

Mash bananas in bowl. Then add sugar and wet ingredients and mix.

Add dry ingredients (except toppings)

Mix until just combined and pour batter into greased baking trays. Bake at 350F for 40-50 min

I split the batter between an 8x8 inch tray topping with walnuts here

And 4 mini loaf pans topped with blackberries

Recipe adapted from Sour Cream Banana Bread at MelsKitchencafe.com

Yields 16 to 20 servings

Ingredients:

  • 2 c mashed ripe bananas (5 to 6 bananas)
  • 1 ¼ c white sugar
  • ¾ c oil
  • 1 c sour cream
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 t vanilla
  • 3 c All purpose flour
  • 2 t baking soda
  • ½ t salt
  • 2 t cinnamon
  • ½ c chopped walnuts (optional toppings)
  • 1 c black berries (optional toppings)

Procedures:

1. In a large bowl mash bananas. Then add sugar, oil, sour cream, vanilla and eggs.

2. Mix until well blended.

3. Add flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and mix until just combined.

4. Pour batter into a well-greased pans of your choice. Batter fits 4 mini loaves plus an 8x8 inch pan. OR fits two large 9x5 inch loaf pans. Top with walnuts or blackberries if using.

5. Bake at 350 F for 40-50 min (or until inserted toothpick comes out clean)

6. Cool in pan, then slice and serve. Keeps for 2 to 3 days at room temperature. Also freezes well.